Can I make an agreement to not pay child support?

Generally, no. The court is required to calculate child support in accordance with the Florida child support guidelines in F.S. 61.30 regardless of an agreement and is not required to follow any agreement made between the parties involving child support and . Courts are allowed to deviate from the child support guidelines by more than 5%, but the best interest of the child must govern the court’s decision. A parent’s duty to support his/her children cannot simply be dissolved by a marital settlement agreement.

Back to Child Support FAQs