What are grandparent’s rights in a child custody case?

The general set by the United Statutes Supreme Court is a grandparent or relative does not have any right to custody or access to a child. However, at least in Florida, a relative may seek temporary custody of a child if it is proven that a child has been abused, abandoned or neglected by a parent and the other parent is not available to care for the child. Also, certain relatives may obtain an Order giving them temporary custody of a child upon the consent of both of the child’s parents.

Back to Child Custody FAQs